Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 30, 2008 ~ My Passion ~

For a while now I have been wanting and praying for a way that I could make a difference in the lives of abused women/children. It crosses my mind a lot and I always ask God to show me what He wants me to do. I went through hell for a reason. I've been asking God to open the right doors. Last night at my parents house the news was playing as I was talking to my mom. I just had to tell her to hold on a minute as the following story ran...and I listened:

"Little Rock - A state legislator says that to counter domestic violence, there needs to be something more than a protective order to keep an abusive person from hurting someone. Representative Dawn Creekmore of Hensley says she will work next month in the legislative session to get support to strengthen the state's domestic-violence laws. Creekmore says her proposals will include making repeated violation of a protective order a felony, making choking someone a felony, and doing away with the statute of limitations for rape and first-degree sexual assault. Currently, repeat violation of a protective order is a misdemeanor. Creekmore says her proposal would make the third violation a felony. She also says that choking someone often is the first physical act in domestic-battery case. Her proposal would make it a felony, punishable by three to 10 years in prison. "

Wow!! This is what I've wanted for the past 5 years...to change the laws. I just didn't know how. I plan to call the Arkansas Coalition Against Domestic Violence and see if there is anything I can do to help in this incredibly important issue. I ask that you please pray that if I am supposed to be used by God in this issue that he open the right doors and close the wrong ones. Even if this post is all He has me to do...pray that it spreads and these new laws become effective. Too many lives are lost to domestic violence. Too many children have to deal with this on a daily basis. Please pray with me about this as it is my passion!

3 comments:

Billie said...

Will do! And you go girl!

AliciaG said...

This is a great idea, Andrea. You are right...God didn't allow you to go through those things for nothing. He has made you a stronger person and one who has a tender heart for those like you who have lived in an abusive marriage. I think it is a wonderful thing that you want to help others like yourself who need an advocate in their corner and maybe working to get these laws changed is the way He wants you to help. I will keep praying for His direction in your life.

Alison said...

Romans 8:28...rings so true in this situation! I'm praying for clear direction for you!

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."