Friday, December 12, 2008

December 12, 2008 ~ Gravy For Days ~

Last night we decided that we would have breakfast for dinner. Charles came over and we went to pick up Camryn from dance and then to the grocery store to get the things we needed. He said he would make eggs, bacon, biscuits, fried potatoes and asked if I could make gravy because he can’t. Now, I have tried to make gravy before and my precious lil daughter TRIED her best to eat it. When it was all said and done, we ended up throwing it away. I just can’t get it right…it never tastes like my Momma’s. However, last night I though I’d give it a whirl. We figured between the two of us and Mimmie’s recipe we could get it right. So, we cooked the bacon in my electric skillet. It cooked up good and had plenty of “fat” to make the gravy with. I got my stuff all out and said “let’s do this”. Charles got the flour and began to pour….and pour….and pour. I kept saying “I think that’s enough flour. We are gonna have a lot of gravy” to which he responded “It’ll be ok…we gotta get rid of the grease”. So he kept pouring and pouring. We finally soaked up everything and half a gallon of milk and 3-4 small cups of water later, we had gravy that would eventually plop off the spoon….and I had HUGE arm muscles from stirring. We figure if we keep trying, one day we’ll perfect the art of gravy making. In the mean time we’ll laugh about our first experience. Lesson number 1: less grease and less flour!!!!

4 comments:

Billie said...

Was it at least edible?

AliciaG said...

LOL...I would have loved to have seen that. I bet it would have rivaled Lucy and Ethel's homemade bread making experience! You wil have to come over some time for a lesson in gravy making!

Andrea said...

The flavor was good...it was just real dang thick..lol

Alison said...

Oh my...still not enough liquid...if it was so thick! You could have probably gotten away with 4 Tablespoons of grease and 4 Tablespoons of flour!
I'm with Momma...I would love to have seen this!