Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Finger nails?? Who needs Finger Nails???

Camryn went to the dentist for her cleaning yesterday. My mom had the joy of taking her for me, so she got to answer the 507 questions over and over and over again…”how long is it gonna take?”, “Is it gonna hurt?”, “what are you doing now?”, “Is it gonna be quick?”…all the while she got to watch my baby pick at her finger nails like a dog desperately digging a hole for its bone. My poor child has a severe case of the worry warts!
While at this visit it was discovered that Camryn has two small cavities. WHAT??? My child has cavities??? The news hit me like a heavy weight being dropped on my head. For some reason I felt as if I had failed as a mother because I obviously haven’t been making sure Camryn brushed her teeth good enough, or maybe she had eaten too much candy. But she doesn’t eat much candy and I stand there and watch her brush her teeth, I even brush them for her once a week to make sure she’s getting everything…sorry, that was me trying to justify my parenting, got lost for a second…regardless, she has 2 cavities.
When I picked her up from dance we all went to eat, my mom, dad, sister, Camryn and myself. I will give you one guess as to the topic of conversation at the table?!!? That’s right…CAVITIES!!!! Lovely isn’t it? We all got to listen to the million questions this time about getting the cavities filled and what they do and what they use and will it hurt and how long will it take and, and, and, and….UGH! Should be a FUN visit to JFK Dental that day…once this is all said and done, I hope Camryn still has some finger nails!

2 comments:

Alison said...

LOL!! She won't! Bless her heart...I hope she doesn't have my teeth...because if so...it doesn't matter if you brush twice a day...we just have bad enamal which causes decay/cavities.

Billie said...

You are not a bad mother. I felt the same way with Belle, but the Dentist finally told me that Belle's teeth grew in with bad enamel. It just happens with baby teeth sometimes. Let's just hope it's a real cavity and not just a surface cavity...they give no pain medicatins for that. Ask me how well THAT goes over!