Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ocotber 23, 2008 ~ When the Lights, Go out, In the City...~

Well this has just been an interesting week. I woke up around 4ish this morning and thought to myself that I was kinda warm. I looked at the clock and it wasn’t lit up. In my fuzzy half asleep mind, I couldn’t figure out why my clock was out. Then I realized that the fan was off too. It finally registered that my electricity was out. I heard it was raining so figured that’s what happened. (Thank goodness I went to pay my electric bill yesterday or I would have thought it was cut off..lol). I set my phone alarm so that I wouldn’t over sleep incase it didn’t come back on. Well, it didn’t. Of course, as things tend to go with me, I couldn’t find the flash light and it was still dark outside. So I opened my cell phone to light my way to the kitchen to get the candles out. I had a nice “romantic” shower by candle light. In my mind I was thinking I’ll just have to take my hair dryer and flat iron to work and do my hair there. Camryn had a uniform dress that she could wear however, all my clothes were fresh out of the dryer and wrinkled…can’t use an iron with no electricity. I decided that I would just have to wear something I already wore this week so it would be somewhat unwrinkled. Next hurdle…breakfast. Naturally I’m out of milk, so a quick and easy bowl of cereal is not an option. GRITS!!! Perfect…except, you can’t make grits without electricity for the microwave. AHHHHH, I have a gas stove so I decided to scramble some eggs. I go to turn it on and…electric starter. Thankfully I was smart enough to remember lighting it when the starter didn’t work, so I got it lit and Camryn had breakfast. Clothes…check, Hair...check, Breakfast…check. Makeup! I went to the bathroom. Candle in one hand, powder in the other I began my next task. All the sudden I heard something…TA-DA my fan came on... ELECTRICITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Camryn and I did a little “YAY” dance and rushed to catch up on time lost!!! She still made it to school on time!!! WHEW!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Man...you two have had an EXCITING week!

Anonymous said...

LOL I'm telling you, you need to be writing a book about all these experiences as a Single Mother. They are a hoot!

Billie said...

No posts forever and now all this. That's why your blog is called "adventures".