Monday, May 11, 2009

May 11, 2009 ~ Mother's Day ~

Being a Mother is not an easy task. From the moment you realize you have a little person growing inside of you, you worry. Emotions are stronger on every level. You are responsible for another life...a life you love more than your own. You cook, clean, do homework, become a taxi driver, discipline, catch throw up, wipe snotty noses, find rocks in shoes, snuggle, hug, kiss etc. It's the hardest job you'll ever love. One day out of the year is yours to enjoy and get recognized for all the things you do. 364 days out of the year you devote yourself to everyone else...1 day you get pampered. So what did I do on Mother's Day, you might ask?
Slept late
Dusted
Dishes
Vacuumed
Dusted picture frames on my wall
Washed all the clothes
Washed the sheets
Swept the floor
Scrubbed the bathtub
Scrubbed the toilets
Cleaned clothes out of my closet that I don't wear
Picked up all the rooms
Ahhhh a mother's job is never done. I did take a break and run through Zaxby's to get my lunch, and Arby's for Camryn (since she doesn't like Zaxby's). The sweet little girl who gave me my food did tell me Happy Mother's Day, although my own flesh and blood had yet to remember...and has STILL yet to tell me Happy Mother's Day. But she didn't totally forget...I did happen to find my Mother's Day card she made at school stuffed in her backpack as I was cleaning it out, and asked if that was my card and in all her sweetness she replied "oh, yeah". *sigh* it's nice to be appreciated.
I did realized that you can't really appreciate all your mom does until you have grown up. I'm sure I didn't appreciated my Mom when I was young. However, being an adult and now having a child of my own, I know there is no way...NO WAY I could ever repay or express the love and appreciation I have for my Mother. She is a tower of strength and beauty and grace. She loved me when I was unlovable. She disciplined me so I would know right and wrong. She stood by and let me learn from my mistakes and was there to pick up the pieces when everything came crashing down. Being a mother is hard and she raised 2 of us. I only hope that I can be half the woman she is! I love you, Momma!
Who needs a day to be pampered anyway...it's over rated. I know Camryn loves me. It's shown by her wanting to hold my hand all the time. She tells me constantly that I'm the best. It's evidenced by the messages she leaves me in the foggy mirror after a shower, or in the sweet kisses through the day. Being a mother and is hard but it is a job I wouldn't trade for anything or anyone in the world.

10 comments:

Billie said...

Amen! Like I said in my MDay post (should post tomorrow)...EVERY day is Mother's day and only a mother can understand that. HAPPY Mother's Day, An! You are an amazing mom and I still don't know how you do what you do so well! I love you.

Alison said...

You are an awesome mom and have a GREAT example!

Andrea said...

Aww, thank you! Love you both!

AliciaG said...

Thank you so much for all you said about me. There were definitely some trying times in raising each of you, but to hear you say when you had Camryn that you wanted to raise her like your Daddy and I raised you made it all worthwhile. I love you and I am so proud of the Mom you are. It is very difficult to do all the "mothering" things when you have a partner to help you, but to do it all by yourself is an awesome task and you do an awesome job of raising Camryn.

The Hows said...

i loved this post! and i'm starting to understand this mom-thing a little more now that i'm a mom myself. i personally think you have a pretty awesome mother, too. btw, what do you do with the clothes you don't wear? ;) i ask because i've had to clean out my closet several times since "becoming a mother" and have given a ton of my clothes to friends because they're still in really good condition, and have been praying for some hand-me-downs. sorry if i sound like i'm looking for handouts but to be honest, i am! hee hee...

Andrea said...

Girl...I have bags of them I don't know what to do with...but you're tiny and I think they may all be too big for you. I'd be happy to let you go through them though!!! Just let me know!

The Hows said...

girl...i am not tiny anymore, seriously - and it's not like you're super huge either! i would love to go through your bags and bags! can you drop them off at the school one day when you drop off camryn? i can give whatever i don't use to someone else or to goodwill or salvation army or something. email me at my ALS address.

Iris said...

hi andrea, i know you're probably really busy, too, so i can pick up the clothes at your house, if that's easier. email me!

Andrea said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! and I don't know your email address...how about I just put the clothes in my mom's car and you can get them from school? Will that work?

The Hows said...

putting them in your mom's car sounds great and i can get them out when i have a break, but i can do whatever is easier for you, whenever you find time, i don't want to inconvenience you guys, you are a hugh blessing, an answer to prayer, literally. you know that verse "why do you worry about clothes?" God is so good! ihow@abundantlifeschool.org